Thursday 5 May 2011

OH NO! NOT MORE PHOTOS OF THE Rxxxx Wxxxxx!

Now would you expect our blog to fail to report to you on this great event? Of course not. Here is our very own incredibly intrepid reporter Eileen G. on her way there through the suburban environs of our great capital during the early hours of Friday morning.

 What does she find when she arrives? Serious and intense competition from a host of rival contenders for the available window space.   Don't they look determined!    Will our reporter be discouraged?     Will she heck!

 She's made it to the window, but how much can she see?    Well, that's the front of the Abbey on the left behind the tree, and there's the red carpet - and look, the bridesmaids and the pages have just arrived, but it's too far away for Eileen to get a clear picture of them on her little Samsung digital camera.

Yet its resolution is so good and she kept the camera so steady that on this shot with a little enlargement we can clearly distinguish Mr Middleton about to bring the bride in through the Abbey gates. Mission accomplished! Congratulations to our new reporter and our thanks to her for letting us publish a few of the many shots she took that morning.

3 comments:

Gigi said...

Yes, it's The Brighton Blogger again. Well done Eileen, for braving the murky capital on a hot day and holding your own in sea of tripods and long lenses. It's a great shot.
I would never call myself a Royalist, but some very derogatory comments have been made in the media about this particular wedding; also on my local parish blog. I suppose when services are being cut and the cost of living is rising, any pomp and preening may seem inappropriate.
We didn't have a street party in our little road, but I did end up watching the service and I was moved by it.
I was worried about not being able to see the Abbey for the potted trees, but after a while they did grow on you (sorry). I thought the choice of music and hymns was gorgeous; John Rutter's "This Is The Day That The Lord Hath Made" was espcially beautiful. William looked shy and Kate/Catherine looked serene in a properly princessy gown. Call me old fashioned, but they looked as though they are in love. I truly hope they are.
I found the prayer the couple had composed very touching: "In the busyness of each day, keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life". Beyond all the big hats, layers of aristocracy and whatever was in Prince Harry's hair gel, Rowan Williams and the couple seemed focused on what is essentially a very beautiful sacrament. I hope everyone in Lymington had a lovely day too.

aardvark said...

Yes, Gigi, I agree that Eileen was very brave to do what she did. I have to admit I'm not impressed by the pro or anti Fr Ray Blake comments. What happened last Friday was going to become history whatever we thought about it, and whatever happens in the future. What Eileen did was to recognise this fact and do what she could, however small, to become part of that history herself.
What did you at the Royal Wedding, Daddy? I sat down and watched it on the telly.

Gigi said...

Hi Aardvark! Absolutely - Father Raymond does seem to scratch some people in some way a lot ofthe time!
I get horribly claustrophobic in large crowds, so I genuinely applaud Eileen for braving the day in London, particularly as she had to travel into the capital to get there. I managed it for Princess Diana's funeral; as I assume many other blog readers did. Personally, I was aware that so much of her involvement with HIV and AIDS chariies was unsung. But I also wanted to acknowledge being witness to history, albeit tragic, in the making.
I suppose sometimes in our smallness, we only see the big picture and can't place ourselves there. Certainly these times of coalition, the Ordinariate, the truly frightening developments in the Middle East right now AND the wedding of the fuure King to a girl from beyond the aristocracy: one day my neighbours' grandchildren will wonder what it was like in 2011. There is a huge difference in being a witness, such as Eileen, and a bystander. I'm rambling; I'll stop now! :)