Thursday 6 September 2012

I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE



"I am the bread of life sent from above,
And those who eat of Me shall have that life,
Will know the fullness of My Father's love,
And know no more of heartache, grief or strife."
We are so far removed from those words said
By Christ himself when He was here on Earth;
We never saw or heard Him.  We have read
His words, however; we believe their worth.
But why?  when those who heard Him were upset,
And argued, doubting Him?  Still He proclaimed,
"My flesh and blood will give you life," and yet
Their protestations left Him unashamed. 
We may wish we'd been there; if we had,
Then would we have believed, or thought Him mad?

Our thanks to Ros Browne for this splendid sonnet, which she composed for the twentieth Sunday.    We’re sorry we couldn’t publish it during that week.   

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Thanks for this - Ros is very gifted and has such a natural way with words even when she's conveying Our Lord's sacrifice. I love reading her sonnets: she wanted a stick of Brighton rock and I shall find the best one I can for her.